Search

Menu

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy

Total Fair Price:$11,554

Fair Price Fee Details

Hospital Services
Fee: $8,615
Fee Details: Price is for a 4 day admission. More days charged at $1,800 per day. Fewer days will reduce price by $1,800 per day.
Pricing Agreement: Printable Detailed Pricing Agreement
Physician Services
Fee: $1,932
Fee Details: Physician fee for procedure and routine postoperative care. Removal of the uterus, abdominal incision.
Pricing Agreement: Printable Detailed Pricing Agreement
Anesthesia
Fee: $1,006
Fee Details: Price is for an average surgery time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Prices may go up or down based upon the actual surgical time required.
Pricing Agreement: Printable Detailed Pricing Agreement
Cost Savings Tips and Financial Considerations

There are two things to consider when evaluating the need for a hysterectomy.

First, do you need the surgery? About 10% of hysterectomies are performed for cancer. The other 90% are often performed for symptoms such as excessive bleeding or painful fibroids. If you don't have cancer, make sure to discuss with your doctor the indications for the surgery, alternative treatment options and the advisability of having the surgery now versus trying more conservative treatments first.

Second, if you are being treated for excessive bleeding (menorrhagia), you may want to consider thermal endometrial ablation. This therapy is often effective with 90% of women reporting excellent results. Endometrial ablation usually costs about one half as much as hysterectomy. While surgeon fees are a little higher, the fees for the surgical facility are lower. In addition, the recover time and time away from work may also be shorter.

Fair Price Information

What does the Fair Price mean?

This is Healthcare Bluebook's recommended price for health care services. The Bluebook price is based on the typical fee that providers in your area accept as payment from insurance companies. This is the price you should have to pay, even if your provider charges more. You can use this price to negotiate with your provider or shop for an in-network provider that charges a Fair Price.

How do I find a Fair Price?

If you have health insurance, you should ask the in-network providers listed in your provider directory what the in-network rate is for this service. Different in-network providers often charge different prices. Call several providers to find one that is willing to accept a Fair Price.

If you do not have health insurance coverage, then you should call providers and ask if they offer discounts for self-pay patients and what their price is for the service.

See the How to Negotiate Healthcare Prices with Doctors and Hospitals section for additional information.

See the Healthcare Quality Resources section to make sure that you find high quality providers.